The following minimum specifications are recommended for learners enrolled in online courses and programs. For better performance, we strongly suggest exceeding these specifications.
Internet access is required to participate in Carlow’s online learning environments. We strongly recommend a fixed-point high-speed connection (such as DSL, cable, FiOS) although satellite or mobile broadband (4G) may also be usable. Your connection speed should be at least 10 Mbps. Please note that WiFi connections may be problematic with media-rich content.
For detailed instructions on how to connect to Carlow's WiFi network, click here.
- 2 GHz processor or faster
- Windows (7 or 8) operating system or Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or newer
- 8 GB of RAM or more
To check machine specifications on PC:
- Right click on the (My) Computer icon located on your desktop or Start Menu.
- Select Properties.
To check machine specifications on MAC:
- Click on the Apple Menu.
- Click About this MAC.
- Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024x768 or greater resolution
- Stereo sound card
To check machine components on PC:
- Click the Start Button and go to All Programs.
- Select Accessories, then System Tools, then click on "System Information".
- Expand the + symbol next to Components and look for Display and Sound Device.
To check machine components on MAC:
- Click on System Preferences.
- Under Hardware, click on Displays or Sound.
- USB headset with microphone - required for programs or courses with synchronous (live) sessions
- Webcam – required for MFF and Special Education. Other programs or courses may require; check program specific information.
- Speakers may be desirable for viewing / listening to pre-recorded audio/video but are not recommended for synchronous (live) sessions
SOFTWARE AND APPLICATIONS
Registered Carlow students can get discounted prices on software (and other technology) through the Carlow Bookstore and through the myPortal Technology Purchasing and Discounts [login required] page. Some vendors may require specific documentation.
Also be sure to install:
- Microsoft Office 2013. Carlow University provides free access and software downloads of Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, OneNote, etc). Each registered student's Office 365 (email) account includes free computer installations and free use of web-based versions of Microsoft software!
- Google Chrome is the most compatible browser available for accessing CelticOnline and most other sites for online programs. Click here for additional web browser information.
Students must ensure their computers are secure and free from virus and spyware to ensure the safe communication with classmates and instructors. Students should check their security ‘toolkit’ for updates on vendors’ recommended schedules (less than once a week but usually not more than once a day). The ‘toolkit’ should include: